Volunteering & Employment
At Circus World, volunteers are the stars of the show!
If you’d like to know more about volunteer opportunities, or would like to fill out an application, please send an email or call 866-693-1500.
Whether it’s helping out in the office, greeting our guests or making popcorn, if you’d like to be a part of the fun, we’d love to talk to you!
Current Employment Opportunities
Are you looking for the most fun job ever? Then toss your hat in the ring and join us at the Circus! Circus World also has a wide range of opportunities for seasonal limited term employment from mid-May to Labor Day each year.
Circus World Museum Foundation Director of Development
The Development Director of the Circus World Museum Foundation shall report to the Board of Directors of the Circus World Museum Foundation and have primary responsibilities related to fund development. The Development Director shall also be responsible for day-to-day Foundation operations.
The Development Director is responsible for forecasting and achieving defined fundraising goals by developing and implementing a plan to maximize CWMF revenue that aligns with the strategic plans of both the Circus World Museum Foundation and the Circus World Museum. The Development Director is charged with overseeing and implementing strategies for all revenue-generating activities, including, but not limited to, membership, direct mail, annual giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorship, planned giving, grants, and annual fundraising events.
The Development Director is also the organization’s frontline major gifts fundraiser, responsible for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gifts for its core programs and major projects, working closely with the Director of Circus World, the Board of Directors, the members of the Development Committee, and other staff and volunteers to achieve these goals.
The Development Director shall also supervise a part-time financial assistant who assists with administrative functions, financial record-keeping, and tracking donor records.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Fund Development (70%):
- Expand and diversify development strategy for membership and individuals, businesses, foundations and special events necessary to grow funding for CWMF.
- Develop and maintain relationships with and solicit major individual, foundation, and corporate donors, and identify and solicit other sources of financial support.
- Create and develop strategic collaborative alliances with organizations, community leaders, and stakeholders to build active partnerships that maximize the potential for fund development.
- Collaborate with Circus World Museum, the Wisconsin Historical Society, the Wisconsin Historical Foundation, and other partnering organizations on funding opportunities and operational efficiencies.
- Draft, review, edit and submit high-level funding proposals.
- Represent CWMF at select donor and community gatherings.
- Assure the highest ethical and administrative standards are applied to fundraising and financial management.
- Continue to build, develop and maintain effective prospect identification tools to link potential donors with department programs and needs.
- Continue to build, develop and maintain strategies to enhance donor stewardship.
- Partner with marketing and communication staff to develop materials for increasing awareness of initiatives as destinations for philanthropic support.
- Plan and conduct visits, events and other ongoing contacts to build relationships and interest in the CWMF mission among private stakeholders.
- Ensure all donations are properly tracked, submitted, reconciled, and reported.
- Contribute to writing annual report and funding priority portfolio.
Vision, Strategic Thinking and Development Management (10%):
- Help tell the story of CWMF’s role, impact and future ambitions through multiple platforms and reporting mechanisms.
- Prepare and implement the fundraising plan and write other strategic planning documents as needed.
- Initiate, advance and oversee special fundraising projects, designing and executing effective multi-faceted fundraising strategies, proposals, communications and reporting materials.
- Provide overall direction, priority setting, and key performance indicator reporting for membership, direct mail, annual giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorship, planned giving, grants, and annual fundraising events tied to CWMF’ strategic and operational plans.
- Advise the Circus World Director and CWMF Board of Directors in the execution of fundraising and donor relationship activities.
- Assure professional development of all Development staff and/or volunteers.
- Craft long-term development strategy including planned giving and a major capital campaign in support of an endowment.
Financial Planning and Management (10%):
- Develop annual development revenue and budgets with participation of Circus World team members and in conjunction with the Circus World Director and CWMF Board of Directors.
- Approve and monitor development expenses and budgets, making tactical adjustments as necessary.
- Track, monitor and report on donor income status and key performance indicators throughout the year.
- Track industry metrics and trends.
Organizational Leadership & Management (10%):
- Collaborate with the Circus World Director, staff and CWMF Board of Directors to achieve strategic and project-based goals.
- Interpret and share CWMF’s vision, values and strategies.
- Assure the organization has a long-range development strategy that achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent, measured, and timely progress.
- Maintain official development records and documents, and ensure compliance with any federal, state and local regulations and standards of ethics.
- Participate in and, when required, lead CWMF’s community and development events.
- Work with the members of the CWMF Executive Committee and in planning, noticing, and staffing of all CWMF Board and Committee meetings
- Minimum of three years’ experience in increasingly responsible and relevant fundraising or marketing positions, with proven success in crafting and executing strategic messaging and development strategies.
- Background in development, marketing, or sales.
- Demonstrated ability to manage up, down, and across, organizational departments.
- Proven success in establishing and maintaining client relationships.
- Ability to motivate and inspire potential donors to provide philanthropic support for the organization’s initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort with technology, including Microsoft office suite and databases.
- Attendance at CWMF and Circus World Museum functions and events is required. This may include travel, and occasional work at night and on weekends.
- Ability to work effectively with local and state officials, and prominent political personalities, business executives, etc.
- Strategic planning experience including developing new revenue streams
- Proven experience working with boards and managing committee-level work
- Knowledge of Wisconsin funding communities
- Experience working with development software and applications
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary range will be $65 000 – $80 000 annually and will be dependent upon qualifications and experience.
- Benefits include health Insurance; vision and dental coverage; optional life insurance and long-term and short-term disability coverage; 401k; vacation and sick leave.
Application: Letters of application, a resume and references will be accepted until Friday, November 9th, and can be submitted in writing or by email to:
David G. Anderson, Board Chairman
Circus World Museum Foundation
550 Water Street
Baraboo, WI 53913
Send digital applications to the following email address:
If you’d like to know more about employment opportunities at Circus World, contact us by phone at 866-693-1500 or send an email.